httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: indexing suggestion
Date Thu, 13 Apr 1995 08:52:54 GMT

Grumble, grumble. I see that indexing in the server isn't likely to
get passed the voting stage, even though other things like imagemaps
and content-negotiation are equally valid candidates for cgi, it is
considered favorable to have them inside rather than out.

On the assumption that my proposal is heading for a veto, I'd
at least like to see changes to the counter proposal.

>    http://www.ai.mit.edu/cgi-bin/idx/site.idx

I'd like to see Apache act on the MIME type mapping for .idx
instead of having "/cgi-bin/idx/" prefixes to URLs.

In the long term, this would make it more flexible, in that
one could immediately change the characteristics of all .idx/indx
URLs without changing or redirecting the well established URLs.

As it stands, all Rob T is proposing is an idea which can already
be implemented in 1.3 (I've had such a system running at Cardiff
for well over a year). That's not to say that old is bad, but
anyone can use this method on top of a Apache-built-in system if
they wanted to anyway.

The advantages of the original proposal haven't gone away, it'll
be faster (no fork ultimately) and it's based on a much simpler
(more restrictive you might argue) syntax.

On the busy Cardiff server we find that under heavy traffic, the
first services to melt are the ones based on perl cgi. And they
have a habbit of dragging the rest of the system down with them.

> If it's popular we can think about moving it into the server proper,
> when that is clearly appropriate.  Right now, I don't think it is.

I think it'd become more popular if it were in the server from the
outset. The cgi approach has been there for people to use for
over a year, it simply didn't catch on. We can always extend the
syntax to meet changing needs at a later date.

It's open to a vote.

robh