httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: indexing suggestion
Date Thu, 13 Apr 1995 05:40:20 GMT
Last time, Rob Hartill uttered the following other thing:

> To see it working...
>   http://ooo.lanl.gov/try.indx

I noticed that you have :
PATH=.:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/users/hartill/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/etc

You really shouldn't have the . path first in the list.  Besides being
bad practice from a security stand point, we found on hoohoo that our
uptime script did a `which uptime` first, and found itself, called itself
in a loop, and did a fair job of crashing the machine (not quite, but
damn hard to find, esp. when we thought it was a bug in the server).

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.