httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: votes
Date Sat, 08 Apr 1995 20:04:06 GMT
/*
 * "Re: votes" by Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com>
 *    written Sat, 8 Apr 1995 12:00:37 -0800 (PST)
 *
 * 58 - Looking at the patch up there *right*now*, it looks like it's
 * still setting MAX_STRING_LEN to HUGE_STRING_LEN, except now you can
 * set HUGE to be whatever you want.  This begs the question as to why
 * there were ever two separate values, and what would happen if I
 * made HUGE 256 (since that's all I want MAX to be).  I could be
 * wrong because I'm only looking at the patch and haven't had time to
 * apply it.
 */

Originally, there was only MAX_STRING_LEN. Then these stupid WAIS
gateways came along and people found that they needed URLs that were
enormous, often several K in size. I realized that I couldn't raise
MAX_STRING_LEN to the needed size without incurring serious
increases in memory use, so I made two values. And then I went and
changes all the required placed to use HUGE_STRING_LEN instead of MAX.

As you all probably know I missed a few.

--Rob