httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: sloppy URLs
Date Fri, 07 Apr 1995 16:45:59 GMT

> > Can't we have this as an option ?
>
> -DANAL_RETENTIVE?  :)

sure, if that switches sloppy URL redirecting on.

How do other servers react to missing trailing slashes ?
What if some sensible server rejects these, and I want to
mirror by stuff onto that server. Should mine accept sloppy
URLs while the mirror doesn't ?

the two sides to the argument are,

  1) if you ask for the wrong URL, you should be told it isn't there.

  2) if you ask for the wrong URL, and the server is able to guess
      what you really meant, then the server should tell you where
      to go get the proper URL.

Brian suggests using (2) as a feature - a way to make things flexible
in the future. Ok fairy nuff, but in the meantime you send out
tens of thousands of redirects to clients deliberately. So you
advertize the "broken" URL, on the off chance that one day it'll
be fixed. This is a seriously flawed idea.

Is this why hotwired gets 400k hits a day ? are they all doubled up ? :-)

By redirecting these broken URLs, you're not doing anyone any favours
in the long term. Clients have to make 2 requests instead of one, the
server has to service two requests instead of 1. It's bad netiquette.
Someone should put a stop to it. We're in a position to do that.

robh/