httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: feature suggestion. configurable index.html
Date Thu, 06 Apr 1995 09:17:10 GMT

> Rob wrote:
> >Netsite allows you to have a choice of filename to search for
> >when requesting /  .By default you'd set it to index.html, but
> >you could also set it to  index.html and foo.bar  if you wanted to.
>
> >So let's have that, eh ?
>
> Err, why? I can't see a use for this feature.

choice ?

Lemme think...  how about setting it to

  unavailable.html,index.html

So that if I decided to shutdown some service at bleah/  I could
add bleah/unavailable.html to intercept all the requests to that
directory, without touching, renaming, aliasing bleah/ or
bleah/index.html.

I'm sure I could think of some more uses given an infinite supply of
monkeys with PCs.

Anyone else have any uses ?, or is it a waste of time ? A default
index.html shouldn't be slower to process (I hope).

robh