httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: redirection revisited
Date Tue, 04 Apr 1995 09:32:36 GMT

> Mmm, is there any way that we can have a different .html file depending on
> the accessing URL?

Arrgghhh   :-)

Why not redirect to a script, have the script decide what to
output. All the info you need to decide how to respond will be
available via "REDIRECT_" prefixed cgi-vars.

> Cool, BUT I'M NOT SATISFIED YET! ;)  Is there any indication that the initial
> access resulted in the redirect, other than entries being next to each
> other and having the same date?  Time stamp resolution isn't enough
> to determine precisely which initial access is responsible for
> a cascade of redirects [if we even allow cascades].

I though about marking the logfile entries to attempt to tie the
two URLs together, but without breaking the current standard log
format (CLF) it looks tricky...

Your server transaction number (process id perhaps) looks interesting, but
it might break CLF analyzers.

Another partial solution might be to add a server-side method for logging,
say "REDIRECT", e.g.

ooo.lanl.gov - - [04/A .. 0600] "GET /redirector HTTP/1.0" 302 -
ooo.lanl.gov - - [04/A .. 0600] "REDIRECT /redirectee HTTP/1.0" 202 12345

This would make redirections stand out in the logs.

But we still need to tie the two entries together. Any ideas on where
we could record a transaction number without upsetting the CLF ?

Would it be safe to log them as,

ooo.lanl.gov - - [04/A .. 0600] "GET /redirector;NNNNN HTTP/1.0" 302 -
ooo.lanl.gov - - [04/A .. 0600] "GET /redirectee;NNNNN HTTP/1.0" 202 12345

Any log file gurus out there ?

robh