httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: .htforward anyone???
Date Tue, 04 Apr 1995 01:21:28 GMT
Last time, Robert S. Thau uttered the following other thing:

>    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 14:45:23 BST
>    From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk>
>    Would it be considered cool to have some kind of
>
> 	   .htforward
>
>    capability under Apache?  sendmail has a .forward which contains
>    various scripty bits and pieces to allow incoming mail to be
>    forwarded on to another destination.  The people who decide
>    what-gets-.forwarded-where are the 'owners' of the e-mail (the
>    recipients) rather then the root user or some other admin.
>
> These are good ideas, but I'd prefer to see them implemented by adding
> Alias and Redirect directives to .htaccess files, rather than by
> adding a second per-directory config file.  (In my server profiles,
> searching for .htaccess files, which are generally not present,
> consumes nearly 30% of the server's CPU time --- searching for a
> second set of per-directory config files would not come cheap).

It may be interesting to note that it was taken out of 1.3:

http_config.c

            if(!file)
                add_redirect(w,w2);
            else
                access_syntax_error(n,
"Redirect no longer supported from .htaccess files.",file,out);

> I realize that this involves putting things in ".htaccess" files which
> aren't concerned with access per se, but we already have them there
> (AddType directives in particular), probably for exactly this reason.

Also, httpd uses the same parser for both the access.conf and the .htaccess
files (just called in a different fashion)

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.