httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Non-forking servers (and fun with NCSA 1.4b2)
Date Sun, 02 Apr 1995 00:38:00 GMT
Last time, Robert S. Thau uttered the following other thing:

> I didn't see any code to do this in NCSA 1.4b2, so I tried it, and I
> *think* I saw the bug --- if an httpd child process comes across an
> AddType in a .htaccess file, that AddType seems to affect not only
> the transaction where it's first seen, but all subsequent transactions
> by that child process as well.  (It helps to set MaxServers to one, so
> you're guaranteed to get the same child, while testing for this).

hmm.  No, I didn't add any code for the AddType, because I didn't
think it worked.  I tried it, and it didn't seem to work.  This
could be because I was in a scriptaliased directory though.  I've
got code now to fix it, though.  It will also fix the memory leak (
not really a memory leak, since we don't lose the memory, but
we do keep adding it)

> Incidentally, this also makes for a memory leak, if one of the
> .htaccess files containing these directives is in a heavily used
> directory --- each time through, another "struct mime_ext" gets added
> onto the front of forced_types; the space used for all of this could
> start to add up after a while.
>
> (More generally, and I'm going out on a limb here, I don't see
> anything in the code which cleans up space malloc()ed by a transaction
> that calls die(), and winds up longjmp()ing back into child_main() ---
> perhaps I've missed something, though.  It wouldn't be the first
> time).

The code cleans up after itself as it goes along (with init_header_vars,
and elsewhere) so it doesn't clean up after itself in a die (at least,
not completely).  It would probably be more efficient that way, but
its a hack.

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.