httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@dsndata.com>
Subject Re: announce Apache
Date Tue, 28 Mar 1995 20:22:07 GMT

> Anyone have a fix for htttpd leaving tons of <defunct> processes sitting about?
> Aside from upping the kernel's process table and running a killing script
> from the crontab, to catch long-running accesses I've not heard of any
> other solutions.
>
> Is this just a SunOS 4.1.3 specific thing, or is all of UNIX effected?

I have only seen this on SunOS 4.1.3.

> Is this the SO_LINGER fix people are talking about?

Yes.  The setsockopt call is commented out in 0.3 and I am not
getting these processes hanging about on the SunOS machine I am
running on.

BTW - I installed 0.3 prime time into the server I run at
http://www.inetnebr.com/.  Seems to be running great.  I'm
not nearly as high traffic as some of the rest of you, but
am running on a Sparc 1+.....