httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: patch list vote
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 10:45:00 GMT
Arrgh.

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Brian Behlendorf
> On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > >
> > > Every half-hour, the following is now run:
> > > chgrp -R httpd /export/pub/httpd; chmod -R g+w /export/pub/httpd
> > >
> > > this should make administration more democratic.
> >
> > Would that cause this...
> >
> >   http://www.hyperreal.com/httpd/newpatch/update/update.cgi
> >
> >   Error from bug-admin
> >
> >   Could not set group priviledges

It sure would.  8-(

> Uh, I actually don't see why it should.  User "nobody" shouldn't be able
> to set its own group ID to be group "httpd" - that appears to be
> hardcoded into drtr's code.

User nobody would be able to set its group to "httpd" if it were running a
setgid executable... Alas no more...
Brian: /export/pub/httpd/newpatch/submit.cgi _must_ be setgid httpd.
Couldn't you use find before chmod?

> Bug reports about the patch interface code should be sent only to
> drtr@ast.cam.ac.uk, and/or to me as hyperreal admin optionally, not to
> the whole list.

Except in the case where they are completely broken (as now), so that every
one knows not to use them.

You can still read the bug reports, of course.

 David.