httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Content-type negotiation: thoughts and code
Date Thu, 16 Mar 1995 22:25:00 GMT
rst wrote:
>   I would suggest this syntax for a content negiotation map file:
>   <!--#select
>      language="en"
>      type="image/gif; qs=1."
>      file="pic.gif"
>   -->
>
>   That way, it would be easier to integrate this feature into .shtml parsing.

>If you're suggesting that map files, i.e. files whose sole purpose is
>to direct the content-negotiation process, and not to be shipped to
>clients, should look like .shtml, I'm not sure I see why that's a good
>idea.  (It doesn't make things any easier to write, BTW; the includes
>code is committed to writing whatever it finds down a FILE*, which is
>very much the wrong thing when you're still trying to figure out what
>to retrieve.  Besides, for a variety of reasons, I'm trying to
>minimize the impact of my current content-negotiation work on the rest
>of the server).

It may not make it easier to write, but it's one less thing for the user
to understand. In fact, what I was getting at was this; suppose I want
to do a server-side include of a document subject to content-negotiation.

In the near future (when we have some working patches), you would have to
<!--#include--> another document that was a mapfile. What I was hoping for in
the long term was for the shtml file to be able to do content-negotiated
includes directly. So that map files would be a sub-set of general shtml
files.

>  Note that it should also be possible for the selected object to be a directory,
>   although you'd have to cope with multiple map files in a single path.
>   (e.g. as in http://host/path/language-map/countries/image-map/canada)
>
>I'm not sure I understand what you're requesting here.  Is the
suggestion that "language-map" would map directories like

>  en
>  kr
>  fr
>
>and then "image-map" would direct MIME type discrimination?  If so,
>it's a neat idea, but *very* hairy to implement, in the context of the
>NCSA base code.  I'd prefer to get one-level discrimination working
>solidly first, before having a go at this.  That's messy enough!

Absolutely! (Yes, the server could return /root/fr/countries/gif/canada.gif)
I was only trying to suggest these 'next generation' features in case
they might affect how you'd implement the features you want right now.
There's nothing like looking ahead...

 David.