httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: CERTifiable nightmare
Date Tue, 14 Mar 1995 18:27:00 GMT
>From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 14:07:06 MST
>
>I just switched off the CERT security patch in apache-pre
>
>It was making my disk grind horribly and slowing responses down by
>~ 30%
>
>Have we decided which 'fix' to use for this problem ?
>The CERT patch is a nightmare for a busy server without
>enormous amount of RAM to *waste*.

Ok, I've got a patch that might help. I've rewritten httpd_alias.c so that
it uses malloc instead of static storage for the redirect and aliases.
This does two things:
1. It removes the limit of 20 redirects or 20 alias in total
2. It reduces the size of the data segment by 80*MAX_STRING_LEN, i.e.
   by 640kb if you've applied the cert patch.

Could you try running with the CERT patch again after applying this one?
The patch alias.patch is on hyperreal; you'll need to apply B22-security-drtr
first.

The web server on hyperreal is down at the moment, so I haven't got a patch
number for it.

 David.