httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Compiling with -Wall
Date Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:50:00 GMT
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 21:52:51 -0600
> From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
> I made some changes to the first apache-pre release to fix some
> warnings generated when compiling on NetBSD-current with -Wall
> flag for gcc.  Some of these warnings are truely anal, but it
> often does find some real bugs, and I may have found a couple
> in this case.  Do with it what you want.  There is also some
> patches that are specific to BSD4.4, and some specific to
> BSD which I think Brian has already caught.  Would someone
> please look closely at ~185: util.c to make sure that I read
> this test correctly?
> My patch is on hyperreal in the incoming directory. (patch.wall)

I certainly think that these warnings should be fixed, and the coding
style in general needs improving. However, right now I think we want
to avoid changing too many source files. Not only would we move further
away from the NCSA source, but it also makes it a little harder to
integrate patches with one-another.

The majority of your changes are to remove redundent variables (of which
there are sadly too many) -- which an optimising compiler would do anyway,
and to insert parenthesis around assignments in conditional expressions.
May I suggest that you trim down the patch to include only the bug fixes?

 David.