httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject Re: Nameserver cache
Date Thu, 23 Mar 1995 18:03:01 GMT

On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> This is in line with my intuition at the time I wrote the code
> originally, that grubbing through shared memory would be faster than
> IPC even if the process on the other end had the remote hostname

Just to clarify a little - I performed the test using my threading
cache-mangler, so there was no inter-process locking - I was using it in
with only a single thread, so mutex costs aren't taken into
consideration. This is such a tiny %age of the costs it shouldn't affect
things either way.

One thing that should be taken into account is the TTL of  the returned
data. gethostbyFOO doesn't make that info available, so some care is needed.

Simon // We are the knights who say 'nis', and we demand a 'shrubbery not
	 responding. Still trying'