httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: custom logging again++
Date Thu, 23 Mar 1995 23:05:30 GMT
On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Before anyone attacks the custom access logging, here's another
> thing to tag onto the wish list..
>
> In a similar way to Alias and ScriptAlias, it'd be nice
> to say something like
>
> LogAlias /Movies/ movies_access_log
> LogAlias /papers/new/  /usr/fred/subdir/mylog
>
> the leading "/" would specify whether the file is relative to
> the server_root/logs/  or absolute.

Fuck that, give me full regexps :) Seriously - I'd like to be able to send
all requests for *.gif to /dev/null as that's what we do with our log file
processing scripts at the end of the day anyways.  I think it's when you get
to points like this when Plexus starts making a lot of sense (hee).  While
we're at it Redirect should use real regexps too...

I think I'd rather see apache incorporate rather meaty features like content
negotiation and leave the frosting off for the time being.  If we wanted
I'm sure we could make apache a full-featured and extremely configurable
program, but then I'm afraid we'd end up with huge binaries.  Besides, we
need to leave *something* for Netscape to build a business model on (Hi
Rob! :)

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/