httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: CGI specification
Date Fri, 17 Mar 1995 00:20:49 GMT
On Thu, 16 Mar 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > > If nobody is responsible for CGI, we can just make the new
> > > variables and post something to say "this is CGI/1.2" - who's going
> > > to argue ?  :-)
> >
> > Nobody, but the changes will be ignored if they are not first agreed
> > to by the major server authors.
>
> We have Rob McCool and some of the NCSA crew listening.
> Any objections to the new CGI variables ? If we add them,
> will you ?
>
> According to the patch list they are,
>
> DOCUMENT_ROOT and SCRIPT_TRANSLATED_NAME
>
> Brian says they are "amazingly cool and useful"
>
> Do you have any other ideas for CGI enhancements that we can push
> jointly ?

Just about all the really useful scripts on my site "require()" (i.e.
#include) a config.pl file in a particular directory for information like
where the database directory is, etc - if I could put some of that
information into httpd.conf it could be reasonably useful, particularly
since the perl scripts that have been moved to C have their own
config.h, and changing one function requires recompiling.  I know EIT's
Webmaster Starter Kit allows that.  Furthermore being able to define that
in a .htaccess file or per-directory in access.conf would be quite
useful.  I.e.

AddCGIEnv DB_ROOT /hot/www.db

Having as many functions as possible look in common places for information
is a Good Thing.

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/