httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: Content-type negotiation: thoughts and code
Date Tue, 14 Mar 1995 01:17:49 GMT
On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> FWIW, the problem Brian was having here is that there's no way to get
> the server to process includes in a document which it believes to be
> of type text/x-html3.  (Brian, did I get that right?)

Yes - though the thought that "text/html; level=3" might work has crossed
my mind.  Time to try it, since that's the W3C position on what
HTMl 3.0 documents should be typed as.

> Unfortunately, the only ways I can see out of this are somewhat ugly
> --- either generalizing XBITHACK so it will direct the server to
> process world-X files of *any* text/* MIME type, or add yet *another*
> magic MIME type (and also educate XBITHACK about text/x-html3).
>
> (I dislike the former because I have a sneaking distaste for the
> XBITHACK --- if people like it, fine, but I don't like the thought of
> a server which effectively requires it if people are going to make
> maximum use of its features.  Unfortunately, that leaves the new magic
> MIME type).
(as I mentioned in private mail)

What about a directive in srm.conf to the effect of:

ServerSideParse text/html
ServerSideParse text/x-html3
ServerSideParse text/html; level=3

By the way, rst has won the monthly Bill Perry Emacs-W3 Award for the
shortest average feature-suggestion-to-working-implementation elapsed
time.

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/