httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: Revised patch list
Date Wed, 01 Mar 1995 20:13:26 GMT
On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> rst wrote:
> > *) New CGI variables (DOCUMENT_ROOT, SCRIPT_TRANSLATED_NAME). [Brian?]
>
> To be pedantic, we cannot create new CGI variables. That can only happen
> through a new CGI standard (1.2?). Otherwise, err, this interface wouldn't
> be very common.

You're right, I did this patch out of necessity and because it was pretty
easy :)  Instead of billing it as an "extra CGI variable" a la
"Netscape-Enhanced (tm) HTML" maybe just calling it for now an extra
script environment variable would be fine.

In addition, the EIT server (surprise!  a hacked version of NCSA - check
out http://wsk.eit.com/wsk/doc/) allows you todefine new environment
variables in the config files - I would find that useful for portability
reasons for some of my scripts, almost all of which do a require
"lib/config.pl" (I guess in that respect I'm lucky I'm using Perl - a
recompile would be needed for C scripts unless I had each script parse
its own config file).

> Of course, httpd can always add extra non-CGI environment variables, as
> long as you change SERVER_SOFTWARE so the script can detect this.

Hmm... CGI has remain pretty much untouched for awhile now.  Anyone for
1.2?

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/