httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: announce it NOW
Date Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:09:00 GMT

> I think we need to announce the existence of Apache NOW.
> We need to whet some appetites, before it's too late.

Er, come clean rob, what do you *want* out of all this?  A job in Microsoft
or Netscape.  A product that lames NetSite and Spry?  A life time full of
answering e-mail requests for "How do I get flashing text on my screen"?
Free tickets to WWW95/96?

Seriously.  It's your puppy, whatcha doing it for?

> I think Brian agreed to an official web tree on hyperreal (thanks Brian),
> so can we start to give it some structure. Let's at least get a page
> there which introduces Apache, and sets out our goals.

Goals?

I'm here to:

o	learn from you guys
o	get hold of a server that works, is public domain, and can be used
	by a real business - not just a publicly owned information
	providor
o	fulfill part of my obligation to my current employer (which is to be
	very, very good at what I do)
o	bwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

> Any objections to dedicating next week (well post 0.4, whenever that is),
> to documenting what we have in preparation for a beta release ?

We need documentation, if only so's I can understand what Rob's content
negotiation gear is meant to do ;)  Writing is good.

> What's needed..
>
>   1) a public mail address. I don't think any of us want to get too
>       involved in reading and replying to users mail, so one solution
>       is to write some kind of FAQ which is given as a standard reply to
>       all mail. The mail response could be a URL pointer.
>
>   2) a bug (&security hole) reporting mail address. Anything that
>        isn't a bug report goes to /dev/null

People will invariably ignore the fact that there are two addresses and send
mail to which ever is first on the screen.  Maybe one address period, is better.

>   3) a suggestions mailing list. non-suggestions >>/dev/null
>        this would also be used by people wanting to join our effort.
>
>   4) an Apache Home P^H^H^H^H^H^H no I won't use that stupid term.
>      An Apache introductory page at hyperreal.

It's a home page.  You can't change human nature ;)  Anyway, grab Majordomo
and set up some lists.

> Would it be wise to suggest that all non-bug/suggestion mail be directed
> to comp.infosystems.www.providers ?

Put it in the FAQ.

> There are plenty of httpd gurus out there willing to answer questions
> in this public forum. I like the idea, how about you ?

You must have a really light workload this month, or something.

> rob

Yeah, go for it,
Ay.

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 0865 843155     Mobile: +44 0589 616144