httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: announce Apache
Date Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:59:47 GMT
   Date: Tue, 28 Mar 95 22:52:23 BST
   From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk>

   > And the defunct process problem some of you are having under SunOS 4.1.3,
   > is that apache specific, or 1.3?  I personally haven't seen it on my
   > home machine, but I don't have that much traffic (1000 hits/day).

   Nope it's 1.3R specific.  One of my live servers is broken.  Apache
   0.3 on the same platform works fine, cleaning up properly after
   it's done.  The problem happens on a Sparc20 that's about 9 months
   from the factory.  A sparc 5, 5 months old has no problems.  Both
   have the same 'uname -a' results.

If the processes in question are not zombies, but yet cannot be killed
(not even with a -9 from root), then I guess I'll just chime in with
everyone else and say it's almost certainly the LINGER problem.
Incidentally, it's been sighted around here on HP-UX in addition to
SunOS.

rst