httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: announce Apache
Date Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:19:08 GMT
   Date: Tue, 28 Mar 95 19:00:38 BST
   From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk>

   How about:

	   "There's a new, experimental and entirely unsupported HTTP
	   server available here:

	   http://foo.bar/server/src.tar.gz

	   It's based largely on NCSA's 1.3R and contains many useful
	   modifications.  Feel free to use it entirely at your own
	   risk.  If you find any bugs then sent a description to:

		   public-buglist@hyperreal.etc"

Looks OK to me, though I'd strip the "entirely".  We might also want
to characterize the "useful modifications" a bit more --- perhaps
"substantially improves server performance, adds new features, and
fixes a number of outstanding bugs."

There is one other thing that really ought to be in the announcement,
though, which is some statement about how what we're doing relates to
NCSA 1.4.  The question will inevitably come up, and if we don't have
a forthright, believable answer, that'll come back to haunt us.

The sort of statement I'm thinking of would be something along
the lines of:

   We are, of course, aware of NCSA's ongoing efforts towards the
   release of a 1.4 version of their server (as they are aware of
   ours; in fact, the current NCSA beta contains some code written by
   members of the Apache group).  Once NCSA 1.4 has been released, we
   hope to incorporate most of its innovations (and perhaps to
   transtion entirely to a 1.4 code base).  However, these are
   independant efforts.

I think this accurately represents the true state of affairs, and I
hope (but can't be sure) that it doesn't embarass anybody.  Comments?

   Do we really want random traffic on the mailing list?  I think that would
   be a bad idea, and an alternative 'public' bug/discussion list would be
   a better alternative, not that I'd bother subscribing to it.

That might be a good idea.

   There is NO DOCUMENTATION at all for any of the new Apache mods.  There's
   not much point in announcing anything until the FAQ set has been written.
   Releasing anything before then is just asking for people to get flooded
   with 'How do I?' mail.

Well, it's mostly bug fixes so far, and I do have a couple of pages of
docs for Content Neg included with the patch (it would be easy enough
to HTMLize that).

   DO NOT ANNOUNCE IT ON WHAT'S NEW!

Perhaps www-talk might be the best thing...

   The safest bet, and one which will cause the mimimum of disturbance to the
   existing project would be to announce a press release, one-page, to the more
   technical mailing lists.  We could then follow it up with a FAQ on-line from
   hyperreal.  But then someone has to write all that, and I'm not sure that
   the existing www home page is enough of a showcase for the server's telents,
   nor for ours for that matter ;)

It would help to have some documentation of what's happened beyond the
raw patch database.

rst