httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject custom error responses revistited
Date Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:38:20 GMT

I've been playing with custom error responses again :-)

The system I have now, finally seems to be stable. Before I upload
a patch file, are there any comments on the scheme..

1) Custom responses are defined in srm.conf and can be updated
    with a SIGHUP (kill -1)

   The format is..

CustomResponse code redirect|"text

CustomResponse 404 /cgi-bin/script
CustomResponse 401 /some/doc.html
CustomResponse 500
CustomResponse 500 /bleah/document_with_includes.html
CustomResponse 403 "Sorry, you're not allowed to access %s
CustomResponse 404 "Go away and don't come back

2) a redirect to a local URL that produces an error, will not
    redirect again.

3) CGI scripts and includes will be given some additional CGI vars
    with a prefix  "X_FAILED_"

    X_FAILED_HTTP_ACCEPT=*/*, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg
    X_FAILED_HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/1.0N (X11; HP-UX A.09.05 9000/712)

    The above will be generated from any vars which are found to exist
    after the problem, along with 2 new variables,

View raw message