httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: 0.3 is go
Date Fri, 24 Mar 1995 18:38:53 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <>
   Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 15:58:05 MST

   How do people feel about making 0.3 or something soon after it
   publically available. I'm not suggesting right now, but if
   we find it stable over the next week or so, maybe make it
   public then.

No objection in principle, so long as people know that they're getting
code which is still (for the moment) under development --- though I
expect it's rather more stable than NCSA 1.4 at this point, while
still offering substantial performance gains over 1.3.  (It'll be
interesting to benchmark it against Apache when I finally get a chance
to do a bakeoff this weekend.  I expect 1.4 to be at least twice as
fast under optimal conditions for it --- simple file accesses, though
the margin will of course be less when CGI comes into the mix).

We'd need to think a bit about licensing terms (if we want to impose
any, at this point).  We might also think a bit about what sort of
authorization checks we want on the patch db, and how to document it.

   We need to start thinking about letting the people know
   about Apache, so that they can at least plan to test it
   against NCSA 1.4.  If we wait until after the release of
   1.4, people may not even want to try it out. Let's at
   least let them know there will be an alternative.

This is one of the reasons I was thinking about either transitioning
to a 1.4 code base, or at least incorporating some of the nicer
features of the 1.4 code into our own.  

   I also see Apache as being a server that has a reasonably
   fast turn-around time on feature/fix requests - this I
   hope will be its big 'selling' point compared to NCSA code.



View raw message