httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: The future, for Apache and NCSA httpd
Date Wed, 22 Mar 1995 15:22:03 GMT

> It's not quite as simple as that. None of the files have any
> copyright on them at all. When no copyright is explicitly included
> it does *NOT* mean it falls into the public domain and the text in

well, NCSA explicitly say that it's in the public domain - they
can't argue with that.

> the README does not cover the package as a whole in any legal sense
> since it is not included in any of the other files. If NCSA
> ever contested the copyright of 1.3 they'd win.

I doubt it, they gave it away. It's as much mine as it is theirs now.

> For the 1.3 server to legally be considered to be in the public domain
> each file would need to be copyrighted, to ensure the ownership
> of the file and an explicit reference to the license that places it in
> the public domain.

I don't think they'd have a legal leg to stand on.

Any published work (in the US at least, I think) is covered by a
copyright automatically, but not if you go out of your way to
state otherwise. NCSA state that they give away all their rights to 1.3
now and forever.