httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: The future, for Apache and NCSA httpd
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:36:28 GMT

Brandon said...

> To my knowledge, we've convinced those in charge that there won't be
> enough new code in 1.x from NCSA to allow the change of copyright.
> If 2.x is a complete rewrite, then it will have the new copyright.
>
> The "new copyright" is probably the same one that is on Mosaic.

It's just as well that "those in charge" can't read the current
license, because as it stands, anyone can take the 1.3 code, and
remove the license, thus automatically gaining
a copyright. By removing the license, they have altered the source,
and since NCSA don't want the copyright to the original, you now
have a new package, and all rights to do whatever you want with it.

NCSA could copyright 1.4 in the time it takes to type in "(c)",
but they can't stop anyone using/distributing/selling/modifying.. 1.3

-=-=-=-=-=-=  the NCSA httpd 1.3 "license"  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This code is in the public domain. Specifically, we give to the public domain all rights for
future
licensing of the source code, all resale rights, and all publishing rights.

We ask, but do not require, that the following message be included in all derived works:

Portions developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University
of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.