httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: change LF to CRLF ?
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 10:22:26 GMT

> Rob wrote:
> >Hmm, I tried it with a CGI script that output LF with no CR. The
> >result was output of a LF with no CR  - which I'd consider to be
> >correct. Even though the spec calls for CRLF, I don't think the
> >server should be changing the cgi output.
> >
> I disagree. Can you explain why httpd should be passing bad data, when it
> can easily correct it?

It's certainly our job to ensure that apache conforms to the spec
correctly, it is less obvious whether the responsibility of the
server extends to inforcing standards on external scripts. If you
think it does, then why aren't we rejecting the cgi headers and
thus incouraging cgi writers to conform (*)? is there anything in the
cgi spec which says servers should be liberal with what they accept ?

I see both sides to the argument, I just opted to err on the side
of letting the user send what (s)he wants rather than use apache as
a standards filter.

  (*) that was not a suggestion.