httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: change LF to CRLF ?
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:02:32 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 8:46:54 MST

   I can see that correcting the cgi headers would be useful, but I'm
   not sure it's the right thing to do here. Neither method should break
   anything, but it's just my gut feeling that cgi supplied info should be
   passed as-is.

   rob

I think we can all agree with that, for suitable values of "passed as
is", but what that means to me is that a properly terminated CGI
header line (by CGI conventions --- CR optional) should be passed as a
properly terminated HTTP header line (with CRLF).

To put it another way, I don't think properly written CGI scripts (and
whether we like it or not, scripts producing LF-terminated header
lines are, de facto, "proper") should cause the server to produce
*improper* HTTP responses.

rst