httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: patch list vote
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 10:20:03 GMT

> I'd like to see a volunteer vote collector...I've been watching the votes
> fly by, people changing there votes, etc.  Another solution would be
> that each person FTPs a copy of their votes to hyperreal.  We can set up a
> vote directory for this if we choose.

No.  Make it a real person, that way you have someone to shout at if things go
wrong.  The 'vote collector' should be the person solely responsible for

o	collecting votes (by sifting through the list)
o	saying when a voting round has started
o	making sure everyone knows the rules (if any)
o	saying when a voting round has finished
o	presenting the results

The collector should not be responsible for:

o	deciding what to vote on
o	deciding how votes should be processed (someone would have to tell me
	what you need).  Some votes may be a simple show of hands majority,
	others may be weighted (like the recent beta lottery)

The collector needs to know:

o	Who's eligible to vote (everyone)
o	How the votes should be processed
o	Who needs to see the results

...all subject to peer review.  I'm inna UK so you can't hit me, but shouting
usually works.

I'll do this if there are no better qualified volunteers.  I'm on-line
Monday-Friday but not at weekends, so this may mean we try to finish
making/collecting votes by Friday, if people want a prompt turnaround from
votes to results.

> Cliff

Cheers,
Ay.

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 0865 843155     Mobile: +44 0589 616144