httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject CGI specification
Date Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:19:30 GMT
> Can we first talk to whoever is responsible for the CGI spec
> (is anyone ?) - we might need to rename the variables and they
> might have some new ones that we could add too.

W3C will be responsible for the CGI spec when they are fully staffed
(June) or if they can find a trusted volunteer to maintain it before then.
By trusted, I mean both the individual and that person's employer
(with the latter preferably being a member of W3C).  If somebody here
wants to do it, send a note to timbl@w3.org (be sure to include a
descriptive subject).

> If nobody is responsible for CGI, we can just make the new
> variables and post something to say "this is CGI/1.2" - who's going
> to argue ?  :-)

Nobody, but the changes will be ignored if they are not first agreed
to by the major server authors.  That means Henrik (for W3O), Tony Sanders
(for Plexus, if he still cares), Rob McCool and/or Ari Luotonen (Netsite),
somebody at NCSA (Beth, Carlos, or Brandon?), Chuck Shotton (MacHTTP),
Bob Denny (WinHTTPd), and us.  It is this group of individuals that really
controls the content of CGI.