httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject non-forking again
Date Mon, 13 Mar 1995 23:59:14 GMT

Can someone explain the problem(s) of writing a non-forking
server.

I've prototyped something in perl which does this - starts
up N processes which accept requests, when one process
takes a request, the next process steps in to handle the
next one.

Having all N processes listenening to the port simultaneously
doesn't seem cause any problems, but I've set it up so that
they all ask a parent process if they are allowed to accept()
something.

Either way works just fine, but somehow I suspect it can't
be this easy - or can it ?

if you load  http://ooo.lanl.gov:8008/    it'll tell you what
process number is running - I've set N=5, so if you tie up
some of the connections with telnet, you'll see that the server
is eventually forceed to run all the processes.

robh