httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: util.c:796: `LOCK_SH' undeclared (first use this function)
Date Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:18:03 GMT
   Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 11:31:47 -0600
   From: Frank Peters <fwp@jester.cc.msstate.edu>

   I'd take the -DNSCACHE out.  It will take quite a bit of effort to
   rewrite that code in a reasonably portable fashion.

Not a *whole* lot, considering that it only took me a couple of hours
to write in the first place, but I do see the point.  (That's why the
#ifdefs are there in the first place).

The really unportable piece of the code, BTW (and the thing that was
tripping up Rob Hartill) is the use of the BSDish flock(), instead of
the SYSVish fcntl(... F_SETLK ...) --- the latter is far more widely
supported.

Fixing this would make the code about as portable as mmap(), which is
supported on at least HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, Linux, and IRIX.  Are
there any significant systems on which shared memory is supported, but
only through the SYSV IPC mechanism?

(NB, there are systems which don't support shared memory at all, and
on those systems, NSCACHE is just about hopeless).

rst