httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: BSDI compilation of apache .001
Date Sun, 12 Mar 1995 09:02:39 GMT
   Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 15:58:35 -0800 (PST)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com>

   First off, a weirdness - I managed to compile apache without problem on
   hyperreal (port 8000) but when the home page called two inline CGI scripts
   (to randomize the images) I got a 500 server error.  Diving in, I determined
   that scripts that put "\r\n\r\n" inbetween the HTTP headers (CRLFCRLF in
   other words) and the data produce a 500 server error, whereas those that just
   put "\n\n" (LFLF) work fine.  Any idea on what's causing this?  I've been
   using \r\n in all my scripts as that's what I thought the HTTP specs
   required, so to not do that would be painful (but if the spec really is

This is probably due to the change in scan_script_header to use
fgets() instead of the util.c getline() (the infamous single-character
read routine); something in EOL handling there is presumably broken.

The Right Thing is for the server to change the script-supplied
headers to internet EOL conventions from the Unix conventions, if the
script supplies the latter (if only because almost every script out
there just uses \n).

rst