httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Content Negotiation
Date Mon, 06 Mar 1995 09:26:29 GMT
   Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 18:48:02 -0800 (PST)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@wired.com>

   I prefer the multiple stat() method - the server can be smart about it by
   paying attention to the order (or q values) in the Accept: headers.

That certainly would help, but there's still a pretty long list of
types to check[1], some of which may come with multiple extensions
(.htm, .html, .shtml; .txt, .text), and no matter how well the browser
orders them[2], there will be cases where the legitimate best choice
is near the bottom of the list.  On top of that, there's the issue of
content-encoding to deal with (.ps, .ps.Z, .ps.gz); doing this the
simple way multiplies the number of stats required by three.  That's a
lot of stats.

The best thing may be to just implement both and do a benchmark.

rst

[1] FWIW, an accurate list of the MIME types which I've configured
    Netscape to handle would include at least text/plain, text/html,
    image/gif, image/jpeg, image/x-xbitmap, audio/basic, audio/x-aiff,
    audio/x-wav, audio/x-mpeg, video/mpeg, video/quicktime,
    application/postscript, and application/x-dvi.  This ignores a
    list of distinct text/* types which X Mosaic, at least, sends
    Accept: headers for (application/x-tex, text/setext,
    text/tab-separated-text, etc.).

[2] As it stands right now, we'd have enough trouble just getting the
    browser authors to put together an accurate list of accepted types!