httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: expires and doit
Date Wed, 01 Mar 1995 13:08:41 GMT

I bounced some ideas off a guy here (Tanmoy Bhattacharya) who
has a great talent for absorbing specs and understanding almost
everything. Anyway I digress.

Re: sending meta info in non-html files..

We can define a special file type (or group of types) that
relate to documents which can be treated as if they were
the output of a cgi-script, so for example, a gif image could
be embedded into a new file, which contained the HTTP headers
the user wants sent back to the client. This method requires
no special file containing headers, so there's no additional
overhead to go look for it.
As "cgi-output", httpd will only add its 3 or 4 standard
headers if they are missing.

The only drawback I see is that the file will no longer be
a .gif or whatever, which might mean that providers have to
maintain two copies - for web and non-web applications.

I think someone mentioned 'fixing' the redirect on a URL
with a missing '/'. The solution was to send back the correct
document instead of the redirect. As Tanmoy points out, this
will break relative URLs. The client thinks the base url is
  http://x.y.z/blah
but the document is actually
  http://x.y.z/blah/
A relative URL of x will point to
  http://x.y.z/x
instead of
  http://x.y.z/blah/x

However, I believe there's a HTTP response which can be attached to
a URL to say "here's the document, but the correct URL is ..."
See http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/HTRESP.html
and "301 Moved"

rob h