httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: expires and doit
Date Wed, 01 Mar 1995 10:23:45 GMT

Re: META tags

> Unfortunately, that only works with HTML (and it does involve having
> the server parse it --- a nontrivial cost which some would prefer to
> forgo, although to be fair it could be restricted to document <HEAD>s).
>
> It's perfectly sensible to want Expires: for other data formats as
> well (the most heavily used resource at our site is a set of GIFs,
> Mark Torrance's stock-price graphs, which expire on a daily basis),
> and it would be nice to have a solution which accomodates that.

Okay, we've had the owner X bit hack, the group X bit hack,
why not an 'other X bit hack' for META info parsing.

Unfortunately, the word 'hack' sums up this approach.

An alternative is to parse the 1st line of the document to
see attempt at finding its type. I'm not sure what the
conevention is for
 <!DOCTYPE .... >

Is it flexible enough for us to specify e.g.
  parse_for="meta"
or
  parse_for="noparse"
or