httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: expires and doit
Date Wed, 01 Mar 1995 11:55:39 GMT
   Date: Wed, 1 Mar 95 16:06 GMT
   From: drtr@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)

   Nicolas wrote:
   >Can we elaborate a way to generate "Expire" mime headers for documents
   >outsite of cgi scripts ?

   How about the META html tag, which is allowed in the <HEAD> of a document?
   e.g.

   httpd could parse such tags before sending out the document headers.

    David.

Unfortunately, that only works with HTML (and it does involve having
the server parse it --- a nontrivial cost which some would prefer to
forgo, although to be fair it could be restricted to document <HEAD>s).

It's perfectly sensible to want Expires: for other data formats as
well (the most heavily used resource at our site is a set of GIFs,
Mark Torrance's stock-price graphs, which expire on a daily basis),
and it would be nice to have a solution which accomodates that.

rst