httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Question on security
Date Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:19:51 GMT
Is there any reason that httpd has to run as root after its done its
initialization and is waiting for connections?  Obviously it needs to
be root to insure that it can open the log files, configuration files,
and bind to the socket (if its less than 1024) but is there any reason
after that?  In the 1.3 code, Rob gave his reason so that they can
open the log files, but they don't have to (they don't open the log files,
the parent process does before forking.)

Wondering,
Brandon
--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.