httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: last-modified is broken
Date Fri, 24 Mar 1995 04:41:26 GMT
/*
 * "Re: last-modified is broken " by Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
 *    written Thu, 23 Mar 95 17:02:12 MST
 *
 * Can you get us some code which does the date stamp comparison
 * faster ?
 *
 */

It's probably none of my business, but I'll butt in anyway...

Speeding up that code really isn't going to gain you much. It's only
doing string parsing and a few integer compares. No mallocs, no system
calls, no looping. And the code is only executed once per
transaction. On most UNIX systems, that's going to be a pitifully
small amount of the total time of the transaction.

You'd be much better off to spend time profiling and speeding up code
that needs it, like the MIME parser (though from what I read RST is
all over that). Have you profiled Apache and found this routine eating
up significant time?

--Rob