httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cli...@steam.com (Cliff Skolnick)
Subject Re: Nameserver cache
Date Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:18:35 GMT
On Mar 23, 12:21am, Frank Peters wrote:
} > Umm...I should have said sun provides one, thanks.  but I also insist
} > people get a "real" one from the net.  I like my resolving to work
} > correctly.  I work for sun, in the internet engineering group, and umm we
} > and the naming guys (who own bind/resolve) know our stuff is a bit broken
} > (and quite old).
} >
} > It's really easy to get it from the net and compile it.  10 minutes
} > honest.  Compared with installing httpd (compile, config) it is
} > trivial.
}
} Ummm...I never claimed it was hard.  I use resolv+.  I recommend it
} highly.

Never said you did...just wanted to encourage people to do it.

}
} Someone (its all a blur now :) threw out the need to go through NIS to
} get to DNS under SunOS as a possible justification for this cache even
} if it isn't faster in other situations.  I pointed out that there was
} no such need.  Just link with -lresolv and NIS need never be involved.
}
} Then someone (you, maybe?) said that you needed to get resolver
} libraries off the net to do this.  So I pointed out that this wasn't
} necessary.  An old but functional libresolv.a ships with the OS
} distribution.
}
} Now you respond that resolv+ isn't that hard to install...which is
} as true as it is irrelevant to my point. :-)

I was just trying to provide the additional info that it is a good idea
here to get the best stuff.  I was never trying to counter your point,
in fact I said thanks I should have mentioned that sun did have one
included.  I then added the stuff about resolv+ to encourage anyone
to get it that has not yet since it is way more correct that the
sun provided stuff.  I agree with everything you said, really.

(perhaps my ummm should have been an oops? hmm.  Umm was to express a
little embarasment on my part since I am close to the source of
the broken stuff.  I've screamed at people to fix it, honest! maybe
some day...)

Cliff