httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Peters <...@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu>
Subject Re: Nameserver cache
Date Wed, 22 Mar 1995 22:31:56 GMT
Cliff Skolnick wrote:
> If they have gotten the resolv lib from the net also.

You don't need to get anything from the net.  SunOS ships with
/usr/lib/libresolv.a which contains routines to look up names via DNS
without going through NIS.  All you have to do is add "-lresolv" to the
link flags.  Now this is a fairly old version of the resolver library.
But it does work.  Out of the box.  Honest.

>                                                         Many times
> this is not the case :-(  Besides I always recomend getting resolv+ and
> "fixing" the C libs :-)

That is the way to do it if you want to fix the dynamically linked
binaries shipped with the OS (static binaries like the shipped rcp
still won't work) or if you want to do things like look in DNS and
/etc/hosts.  Or DNS and then NIS.

But if all you want to do is get your httpd server to resolve hosts via
DNS without going through NIS (and you don't care about the fact that
this also causes it to not look in /etc/hosts) then adding the -lresolv
is a whole lot easier.