httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: The future, for Apache and NCSA httpd
Date Wed, 22 Mar 1995 00:04:18 GMT
Last time, Robert S. Thau uttered the following other thing:

>    Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:19:18 -0600 (CST)
>    From: Brandon Long <blong@uiuc.edu>
>
> Brandon, thanks much for the info.
>
>    As to what the new license will be, I'm not sure, but it probably will
>    be something with the goal of keeping people from making money off of
>    our code (without us getting something).  The code will be copyright
>    NCSA, and if you use it, you have to say so, or something like that.
>
> Hmmm... you did say earlier that you were fighting to avoid licensing
> changes before 2.0, but it's still not clear exactly what this refers
> to.  Would this "new license" apply to 1.4, subsequent 1.x releases,
> or only to the 2.x series?

To my knowledge, we've convinced those in charge that there won't be
enough new code in 1.x from NCSA to allow the change of copyright.
If 2.x is a complete rewrite, then it will have the new copyright.

The "new copyright" is probably the same one that is on Mosaic.

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.