httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: The future, for Apache and NCSA httpd
Date Tue, 21 Mar 1995 21:19:18 GMT
Last time, Robert S. Thau uttered the following other thing:

>    From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
>    Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 9:06:54 MST
>
>    I think we'll have to make a decission when we see 1.4 whether to
>    attempt to merge their changes into Apache or not. Things that
>    are still unresolved Re: NCSA 1.4  are,
>
>      a)  will the license change to stop us borrowing any new code
>
> Now, *that's* a serious issue... Brandon, are you out there?  Any info?

To my knowledge, and I will do what I can to fight for this, the code
for version 1.x will always be under the current licensing.  They (meaning
those in charge) want to change the licensing, but they feel that we have
to change a significant portion in order to do it.  We (the developers)
are of the feeling that the code is in pretty poor shape, and needs major
revision (read: rewrite).  Which leads to your next question:

>      b)  where do NCSA see httpd development going ?
>
>    My opinion of (b), based on incomplete information, is that NCSA httpd
>    is moving from being the "people's server" to a testbed for new idea.
>    As such, I think they are neglecting the needs of Joe Average who just
>    wants content negotition, custom error logging etc.
>
> Well, there are also a lot of people out there who want the efficiency
> gains from a fork-free server, and some form of encrypted HTTP.  (I've
> got a lot of them here at this lab, and if 1.5 comes out with SHTTP,
> and SHTTP clients start flying around, it'll be politically impossible
> for us to run anything which *doesn't* support it).

We are planning (in versions 2.x) to do some really major changes, and
this will include (maybe) a more modular architecture, publishing
capability, extensible security, and any other really cool, almost
completely new ideas.  Support for URCs, URNs, etc.

But, we fully intend to first to more work on 1.x, definitely a 1.5,
possibly 1.6 and 1.7, to add things like shttp, ssl (I hope not),
kerberos, group annotations, multiviews, content negotiation, anything
else we (the developers) can sneak in.

Of course, the meeting on the future is next week, so this could all
change by then (or even by this summer, when work on 2.x might start)

> Personally, I want those things, *and* content negotiation, and maybe
> even custom error logging --- and I do see a role for another project
> to add those things which NCSA won't add on their own.  But I also
> don't want us to cut ourselves off from good work that NCSA is doing,
> if we can avoid that.
>
>    So if this is a reasonable prediction, I see Apache as being the
>    new "people's server", which will continue to implement the wish-lists
>    of Jow Average and grab whatever new technologies NCSA (and others) come
>    up with.
>
> If the rest of the world is anything like my lab, you may be
> underestimating how many of the "Joe Averages" out there want secure
> data transfer.
>
>    Things should be clearer when NCSA release 1.4
>
> Amen to that.
>
>    rob
>
> rst

We're working on it.  I think documentation is holding us up.  Not that
y'all need that, I'm sure (how many of you plan to look at 1.4 by doing
a diff vs. 1.3R ? :)

As to what the new license will be, I'm not sure, but it probably will
be something with the goal of keeping people from making money off of
our code (without us getting something).  The code will be copyright
NCSA, and if you use it, you have to say so, or something like that.

At least, that's my interpretation of things.  And, I hope none of this
information is sensitive in any way.

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.