httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: non-forking again (NCSA 1.4 approach)
Date Fri, 17 Mar 1995 02:54:04 GMT
/*
 * "Re: non-forking again  (NCSA 1.4 approach)" by Rob Hartill
 *    written Thu, 16 Mar 95 14:16:02 MST
 *
 * My setup has all the serialization being performed before a call to
 * accept, so a child is always ready for a connection.  As soon as
 * the accept is made, the child sends the parent a non-blocking
 * message to tell it that the 'accept' is now history, and that the
 * next child can 'accept' a connection.

One problem with this setup is that the master process can become a
bottleneck. In a situation of fast connection turnover, before a
connection can be accepted, the process which made the accept must
wake up, and send a message. The master process must then run, and
send a message. Finally, the next child must run, and accept a
connection. If you have a lot of running processes, requiring three
process switches per new connection might become a problem.

That being said, this method may be better than the simple
architecture or the fd-write architecture.

 * (*) is easily switched to multiple processes 'accepting' - with no
 * need for a parent to act as a serializer - that I guess should be a
 * system dependent config setting.
 */

If you did that, how would that be different from the Netsite mob
architecture?

--Rob