httpd-cli-users mailing list archives

From Walter Nicholls <walter.nicho...@cornerstone.co.nz>
Subject Re: [cli-users] mod_aspdotnet does not pass AUTH_TYPE or REMOTE_USER value?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:58:28 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>Your issue is with NTLM auth.  If you don't attempt to use system
>credentials, all should work better.

It's not, and I'm not. NTLM is a red herring. In fact, IIS is probably a
red herring but it does show the system working. Yes, I am using LAN
credentials with IIS, but that's because I have no other choice unless I
go to an awful lot of trouble. That's also one of the reasons why I want
to get Apache going: I do know about mod_ntlm, but if I were to go down
this route I might as well stay with IIS and save a whole lot of trouble.

httpd.conf:
<Directory ...>
    AuthType basic
    AuthName "VP3 Prototype"
    AuthUserFile "conf/vp3users"
    AuthGroupFile "conf/vp3groups"
    Require group vp3
</Directory>

and vp3users:
  Walter:$apr1$Js3.....$wbYWPSNTdICVXr6lTi8d//
  .. etc ..
and vp3groups:
  vp3: Walter Beryl

This is definitely requiring login and it is definitely not using NTLM.
If I log on as Walter or Beryl, I get in, if I login as Charlie I am
denied access.

CGI Spec, http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html:
* AUTH_TYPE
   If the server supports user authentication, and the script is
protects, this is the protocol-specific authentication method used to
validate the user.
* REMOTE_USER
   If the server supports user authentication, and the script is
protected, this is the username they have authenticated as.

With the httpd.conf above, then these should be set to "Basic" and
"Walter" respectively, When I go to http://localhost/../testvars.cmd,
they are. When I go to http://localhost/.../Default.aspx, they are not.
For examples in both cases see my first post.

I'm only guessing, but it's a pretty good guess, that the problem lies
inside the mod_aspdotnet source code.

Looking closer at the httpd and the mod_aspdotnet source code, the
REMOTE_USER and AUTH_TYPE environment variables seem to be set by the
function ap_add_common_vars() defined in server/util_script.c. This
function is called from both the CGI handler and the asp.net handler, so
I really don't understand why these variables don't seem to be set by
the time my C# code is called.