httpd-bugs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From bugzi...@apache.org
Subject DO NOT REPLY [Bug 8729] New: - Apache2 progressively saturates CPU w/ Sygate Firewall
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 05:31:22 GMT
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, BUT PLEASE POST YOUR BUG 
RELATED COMMENTS THROUGH THE WEB INTERFACE AVAILABLE AT
<http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8729>.
ANY REPLY MADE TO THIS MESSAGE WILL NOT BE COLLECTED AND 
INSERTED IN THE BUG DATABASE.

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8729

Apache2 progressively saturates CPU w/ Sygate Firewall

           Summary: Apache2 progressively saturates CPU w/ Sygate Firewall
           Product: Apache httpd-2.0
           Version: 2.0.35
          Platform: PC
        OS/Version: Windows XP
            Status: NEW
          Severity: Blocker
          Priority: Other
         Component: Platform
        AssignedTo: bugs@httpd.apache.org
        ReportedBy: cdowns@austin.rr.com


Hello-

This defect may be related to:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=7932

My config:

P4 1.6 MHZ
Windows XP (version 5.1 Build 2600.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803)
Apache 2.0.35 (apache_2.0.35-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi)
Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.0 (build 956) 
(http://soho.sygate.com/default.htm)

I recently (last night) downloaded and installed Apache2 as a service.  
Things went beautifully.  I modified the httpd.conf to change
the DocumentRoot and started creating a test index.html.
That worked perfectly as well.

Then, I noticed that the machine was slowing considerably.
I ran taskmgr and to my amazement I noticed that CPU 
utilization was steadily climbing (a linear progression) until
it eventually reached 100% utilization at which point the
system became almost unusable.

Unlike bug #7932, I never got a BSoD however.  I managed to
restart XP and again started the taskmgr.  Again the gradual 
linear progression to 100% CPU utilization (took about 45 seconds to
hit 100%).

I tried to disable the service but it seemed to ignore the request.
This may have been due to the CPU being pegged.I then restarted again
and immediately uninstalled Apache2 and the machine 
returned to normal.

I couldn't help but notice the similarities with bug #7932, so 
this may be characterized as a duplicate, except that
I am using a firewall from a different vendor.

I am a developer w/ 2 years experience developing servlet-based 
apps using JServ and Apache 1.3.  FWIW, my instinct tells me that 
for some reason Apache began spawning threads that were each 
performing some moderately intensive job and the cumulative 
effect of these threads caused the linear rampup to complete 
CPU saturation. Without knowing the Apache2 codebase, however, 
this is a total guess on my part.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: bugs-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: bugs-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message