httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 15:46:53 GMT
On 08 Mar 2015, at 9:11 AM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a nutshell the long term goal has always been to get the c parts of apreq incorporated
into httpd distributions so the perl parts can ship with modperl.  This is still along those
lines.  In order to continue to expose the cool cgi code that Issac added to libapreq we need
to ensure there is an actual external library still when we ship with httpd otherwise we lose
the modular features we spent so much time designing as apreq would then be limited to httpd
modules only.  I'd like to see it serve the entire gamut of web apps including fast cgi.
That's what my ongoing plans are for the httpd project.

+1.

For ages library functions for httpd have ended up in APR, but this isn’t ideal - APR is
a portability layer, and even though code is being accepted that “works with APR”, in
reality we really need a libhttpd library that can provide “web server like stuff” in
a proper true library form. Will certainly make tools in the “support” area of the httpd
tree easier to develop for, as none of the tools have access to httpd proper, and code must
be cut and pasted.

I don’t like that apreq as a loadable module, but I would love it as a proper shared library.

Same with the expressions code.

Regards,
Graham
—