httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Clinton Gormley <cl...@traveljury.com >
Subject Re: Cookie parsing errors: conflicting information, expected token not present
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:34:35 GMT
Hiya Joe

> > I realise that the cookies themselves may not be compliant, either
> > because of bad JS or buggy clients, but CGI.pm manages to parse all of
> > the examples below, in the same way that browsers try to cope with dodgy
> > HTML. It'd be nice if libapreq were a bit more DWIM.
>
> apreq is written to be standards compliant, and although more DWIM might be
> nice, it shouldn't come at a cost of violating the specifications (IMO).

Well, this same argument has been put forward about whether browsers
should just refuse to display invalid HTML, thus breaking most of the
web, or continue trying to do the best with the information available to
them.

I'm fully in favour of being standards compliant, and I try to ensure
that everything that I create IS standards compliant, but we also have
to deal with browsers with myriad bugs, and it feels a bit lame to just
refuse to communicate with their users, no?

clint