httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: Parsing error when parsing the second time
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:57:16 GMT
Joe Schaefer <joe+gmane@sunstarsys.com> writes:

> Andy Grundman <andy@hybridized.org> writes:
>
>> I'm working on trying to improve the performance of Catalyst's body parsing.
>> We're currently using the all-Perl HTTP::Body, and it  actually beats
>> APR::Request for urlencoded data.  The regexes are  pretty simple, so this
>> isn't too surprising.
>
> I just ran a few microbenchmarks comparing apreq's urldecoding parser to
> HTTP::Body, and apreq came out about 10x faster.  How are you getting
> your results?

The test script is I used is here (requires svn trunk):

   http://people.apache.org/~joes/testing_apreq2_vs_http_body.pl

when I run it with an arg of 10000, here's what it produced:

Benchmark: timing 10000 iterations of apreq_args, apreq_body, http_body...
apreq_args:  2 wallclock secs ( 1.89 usr +  0.00 sys =  1.89 CPU) @ 5291.01/s (n=10000)
apreq_body:  4 wallclock secs ( 3.81 usr +  0.00 sys =  3.81 CPU) @ 2624.67/s (n=10000)
 http_body: 70 wallclock secs (69.84 usr +  0.00 sys = 69.84 CPU) @ 143.18/s (n=10000)

I'm guessing you benchmarked by throwing lots of requests at a
webserver, in which case you probably hit a bottleneck somewhere
unrelated to the actual parsing.

--
Joe Schaefer