httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <apreq-dev-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: Problems with apreq2 on OS X
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:06:00 GMT

> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> If you go to PHP, you should not expect a trouble free life :) I
>> don't have anything against PHP, but it has it's own set of
>> problems.  With development in any language, you need to make sure
>> that you keep a tight hold on your versions.  Using the latest
>> version of something isn't always the best move, as experience has
>> taught me.  It's nice to try it out and report bugs back, and
>> helpful to the development of the project, but use the version
>> that works for you.

two webapps I use  right now are running different sections under
mod_perl, php, and python.
by far, the biggest security issues i've had have been with php,
'versioning' issues with python, and programming with perl.
they'll all cost you the same amount of headache and time-- the
question is where are the issues going to be?
with most programmers, the php issues fall not on them, but on
someone who is stuck admining the server.  so don't think you'll be
saving headaches overall.  you just might be making your problem
someone elses.

On Oct 29, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Patrick Galbraith wrote:
> I know, I'm just frustrated and venting after losing many hours of
> dev time. The reason CGI won't work in my case is I've written all
> this code as a handler and putting into CGI seems like it'd be a
> lot of work.  Maybe not, I'm not sure what I would have to change
> since I rely so much on the request object.

he doesn't mean write it as a CGI, but to use CGI.pm

you can use any perl modules you want under mod_perl

just  use CGI.pm, or formbuilder, or something else to handle parsing
your get post

in your mp handler, create a new parsing object, instantiate it with
$r, then stuff it in a pnote.

anytime you need to access form vars, just  get the object out of the
pnote.

its not as fast as apr, but not significantly so -- and if you're
hitting a db at all during your request, the speed different is
completely irrelevant

> When you say to use an earlier version of libapreq, do you mean
> version 1.0? That won't work because all the linux dists I deal
> with are ones with pre-packaged mod_perl2 and apache2 (but haven't
> been able to get apreq to compile correctly against those pre-
> package versions, trying everything from source).
try 1.07 / 1.08 both run for me on osx / freebsd / ubuntu

// Jonathan Vanasco