httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Galbraith <p...@mysql.com>
Subject Re: Problems with apreq2 on OS X
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:23:57 GMT
Fred Moyer wrote:

> Patrick Galbraith wrote:
>
>> Fred,
>>
>> Ok: I have this failure on
>> 1. OS X
>> 2. Suse 10.0 amd 64
>> 3. Suse 9.3   intel 32
>>
>> Has anyone addressed this? This is what I would call severely broke.
>> I would prefer not to use CGI. After this week, I think maybe the
>> universe is telling me to learn PHP after all these years of being a
>> perl developer.
>

> The short answer would be to use an earlier release of libapreq - this
> only happened to me with the latest release.  Or use CGI for now until
> it's fixed.  There's nothing wrong with using CGI while this bug gets
> worked out, the api is the same for the most part.  libapreq is still
> in a development version, and chances are that your application will
> not bottleneck on CGI.
>
> If you go to PHP, you should not expect a trouble free life :) I don't
> have anything against PHP, but it has it's own set of problems.  With
> development in any language, you need to make sure that you keep a
> tight hold on your versions.  Using the latest version of something
> isn't always the best move, as experience has taught me.  It's nice to
> try it out and report bugs back, and helpful to the development of the
> project, but use the version that works for you.
>
> I've dug around a bit in the code trying to resolve this issue, but
> it's a bit above my head right now.

Fred,

I know, I'm just frustrated and venting after losing many hours of dev
time. The reason CGI won't work in my case is I've written all this code
as a handler and putting into CGI seems like it'd be a lot of work.
Maybe not, I'm not sure what I would have to change since I rely so much
on the request object.

When you say to use an earlier version of libapreq, do you mean version
1.0? That won't work because all the linux dists I deal with are ones
with pre-packaged mod_perl2 and apache2 (but haven't been able to get
apreq to compile correctly against those pre-package versions, trying
everything from source).

Thanks for your replies!

Patrick